Acne not only impacts on your physical appearance but may also affect your emotional wellbeing. If your skin is prone to acne breakouts it’s, really hard not to feel self-conscious about it. What is even more of an annoyance is if you have tried a number of treatments and remedies only to find your acne keeps returning – perhaps along with a drier redder complexion because of the harsh chemicals or surfactants (ingredients to make washes foamy) or antibacterial agents they contain.
There are many acne treatments that may work for one person or one skin type e.g. teenage oily skin and not work for others who may have drier, hormonal or more mature skin. No matter what your skin type the great news is – coconut oil may just be the solution you are looking for. I know it may seem contradictory applying more oil to your skin if you are prone to oily skin breakouts, but what most people don’t realise is that there are oils known as essential fatty acids that absorb quickly into your skin, are very nourishing and don’t leave your skin feeling greasy.
Coconut oil is one of those richly beneficial oils that is considered a “good” oil. Coconut oil for acne has been shown to have powerful acne fighting and preventative antibacterial properties. It also helps to help acne scars and help reduce redness.
Where Coconut Oil Comes From
Coconut oil is extracted from fresh coconuts from two methods:
1. The cheap (and more than a little nasty) way is to extract the oil from the copra which or the low grade element of the flesh. It is not able to stay fresh as long (has a lesser antibacterial potency), can go rancid and so is treated with pesticides and chemicals to keep to keep it stored on shelves longer. Another chemical often used in the extraction process is Hexane, a petroleum like substance that is known to be toxic to skin and other body cells. This is a good reason to buy Hexane free coconut oil.
2. The Cold-Pressed Virgin Certified Organic variety of coconut oil is the perfect choice for frying, baking, and for topical use in Coconut Oil Face masks and in other recipes for your skin. It is derived from fresh ripe coconuts and is dried, squeezed, left to settle then finely filtered. Cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil is pure and natural , free of Hexane, pesticides and preservatives. This type of oil is perfect for coconut face masks and acne serums.
Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Acne Treatments
- Coconut oil is soothing and inflammatory reducing redness and discomfort associated with acne.
- Extra virgin coconut oil will not clog pores and cause blackheads or breakouts like many synthetic oils because it is non-comedogenic.
- One of the many beneficial nutrients in Coconut oil is lauric acid. This acid targets acne at it’s source. Lauric acid has potent and powerful anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral properties making it perfect for even the worst types of acne such as cystic acne. Adding tea tree oil lavender oil, rosemary oil or neem oil – all of which have antiseptic, antibacterial, or anti-microbial properties, especially tea tree oil to a Coconut Oil Face mask, wash or moisturizer makes a very potent coconut acne remedy.
- Coconut has a natural SPF factor of around 4 and has been used in tropical climates as a mild sunscreen to protect skin – and is used a lot in tanning products or sunscreens as well.
- This oil is also natural rich in Vitamin E. This vitamin helps repair damaged skin helping wounds and pimple spot to heal more quickly while reducing scarring.
- Mental sharpness, weight loss and better digestion are also reported to be improved with two teaspoons of coconut oil added to your diet every day.
- Coconut oil is used in many skin care products for its antibacterial, moisturizing and healing benefits.
How To Use Coconut Oil
Eat a teaspoon a day
Coconut oil is great for frying and cooking. It can be heated to high temperatures and is full of enzymes and vitamins to aid digestion, help with weight loss and even fight gingivitis gum disease when used as a mouth wash.
Coconut Oil Or Coconut Cream As A Face Mask
Coconut oil for acne face masks can be applied once or twice a week (or use coconut cream). Use a gentle cleanser on your skin, for acneic skin, try adding a few drops of tea tree and lavender oil to your face wash or to the water you rinse your face with, taking care to avoid getting it your eyes. Lavender oil calms and soothes redness and painful acne lesions and tea tree is a potent antibacterial agent.
Coconut oil is almost solid in consistency at average room temperature, so you can scoop a little into the palm of your hands, massage it into your skin with your fingertips for a few minutes allowing it to melt into your skin. You can also add a couple of drops of tea tree oil, and a little honey (also anti-microbial) to this mask if you wish (and plain yogurt too to cool and soothe skin). Leave this mixture on for 20 minutes. This recipe helps to remove deeply embedded impurities and lift bacteria from your skin. After 20 minutes wash off – with a little cleanser if need be. Pay skin dry and apply an oil-free moisturizer.
It’s not really a surprise that coconut oil is so sought after and renowned for it’s many beneficial properties. Having a jar of this amazing oil around home for cooking, and skin skin care is really a no brainer as an essential part of a healthy skin and body routine.
My favourite brand of Hexane free coconut oil is Banaban. It’s great value and of the best quality.
You can also find many more coconut oil acne masks, serums and washes in Natural Homemade Skin Care Recipes. This book is jam packed full of easy to make recipes, great skincare tips and a comprehensive list of ingredients to choose from to make your recipes with.
|OZNaturals- Vitamin C Serum For Your Face Contains Professional Strength 20% Vitamin C + Hyaluronic Acid - Anti Wrinkle, Anti Aging Serum For A Radiant & More Youthful Glow! ALLURE MAGAZINE'S Best In Beauty Vitamin C Serum - Widely considered the most effective Vitamin C serum available - Helps stimulate the production of collagen for smoother texture and even skin tone ANTI AGING SERUM Protects Skin from free radical damage and helps reverse damage caused by previous sun exposure USING THE HIGHEST concentration of natural and active ingredients possible giving you beautiful skin in eco-friendly ways Fragrance-free UNIQUE Vitamin C serum contains a proprietary blend of 20% Vitamin C and Astaxanthin|
|Organic Body Care Recipes: 175 Homemade Herbal Formulas for Glowing Skin & a Vibrant Self. Radiantly healthy skin, hair, feet, hands, eyes, and nails. Recipes for hand and footcare, nail treatments, shaving cream, and even popular spa treatments such as microdermabrasion exfoliants, detox and cellulite soaks, ayurvedic oils, and herbal cold salves.|
|Natural Home Made Skin Care Recipes: Three steps to great looking skin with everyday ingredients. Enjoy beautiful clear glowing healthy skin every day! Natural Home Made Skin Care Recipes are simple to make and completely natural, yet many are so powerful they can erase wrinkles, blemishes, blackheads and uneven skin tone, leaving your skin looking and feeling radiant.|