Zinc is a mineral that our body uses for many functions but it is especially beneficial for healthy skin and hair. Zinc helps with hormone balance so an adequate intake of zinc is particularly important for acne prone skin. Skin that is lacking Zinc is dull, acne prone and can cause oiliness due to hormone imbalance.
Foods rich in zinc include (in order of highest to lowest concentrations):
- Toasted Wheat Germ And Wheat Germ oil
- Low Fat Roast Beef
- Roasted Pumpkin and Squash Seeds
- Dried Watermelon Seeds
- Alaska King Crab
- Almonds And Almond Oil
- Baked Beans
- Cheddar Cheese
- Chicken Breast
- Chicken Leg (Roasted)
- Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
- Dry Roasted Cashews
- Flat Fish (Flounder or Sole)
- Fortified Cereals (Varies By Brand)
- Green Peas
- Kidney Beans
- Low Fat Yogurt with Fruit
- Pork (Shoulder)
- Pork Tenderloin
- Sesame Seeds (Tahini) And Sesame Oil (see Natural Homemade Skincare Recipes )
Include these in your diet and where possible in your skin care regime to up your zinc levels, get rid of acne and support your skin.
Benefits of Zinc for Overall Health and Our Skin
- By taking zinc supplementation orally and by applying it topically to your skin daily in a serum, mask or moisturizer you can reduce or eliminate acne.
- Zinc has been shown to improve reproductive health and fertility in men and women.
- Helps the body release toxins from the brain and may prevent Alzheimer’s disease.
- Helps to heal skin faster and reduce scarring when applied topically, especially when used with other scar reducing oils.
- Improves cardiovascular health.
- Shampoo rich in zinc and salyclic acid has been found to reduce scalp issues like itchy scalp, dandruff and certain fungal infections that cause itchy irritated scalp.
- Skin (school) sores and cold sores on the lips (caused by herpes simplex virus) are healed much faster with a zinc based lip cream or balm.
- Zinc can heal cuts, grazes, wounds and abrasions when applied topically to the skin. You can make a fabulous acne ointment with zinc rich oils and chondroitin sulfate at home for acne prone skin.
- Zinc eliminates acne by minimizing skin sebum, (oil) which the skin produces naturally. An excess of oil can clog pores with oil creating the perfect environment for acne-causing bacteria and acne breakouts to occur.
- Zinc has been proven to reduce signs of redness, inflammation, and pain for those Rosacea sufferers.
- Zinc has long been used for skin in diaper rash creams for babies.
- Zinc is a crucial element for our immune systems to functionproperly and keep us healthy and strong.
It’s no secret that ultraviolet (UV) rays are harmful and can damage our skin when overexposed to the sun on a continuous basis. Zinc is a natural barrier for UV rays and can be added to moisturizers, and creams to protect skin.
You can make a nourishing protective serum for acne using three oils that are rich in Zinc but also offer some sun protection:
Acne Zinc Protective Skin Serum
1 oz of Almond or Wheatgerm Oil (can use a combination as Almond oil is lighter for oily skin and Wheatgerm a little heavier for dry skin)
1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (if you have acne spots) OR 1 teaspoon Sesame Seed Oil (can make a blend of half of each if you wish – Coconut oil is very protective for skin and compliments the strong scent of Sesame well)
For acne inflamed skin add (optionally) add a few drops of Lavender and Tea tree oil.
Mix this blend together and apply twice daily to clean skin. This oil has a mild SPF rating (SPF2 to 4) and it great for nourishing your skin with both Zinc and acne fighting antimicrobial elements in the Coconut oil, Lavender and Tea tree Oils.
|OZNaturals- Vitamin C Serum For Your Face Contains Professional Strength 20% Vitamin C + Hyaluronic Acid - Anti Wrinkle, Anti Aging Serum For A Radiant & More Youthful Glow! ALLURE MAGAZINE'S Best In Beauty Vitamin C Serum - Widely considered the most effective Vitamin C serum available - Helps stimulate the production of collagen for smoother texture and even skin tone ANTI AGING SERUM Protects Skin from free radical damage and helps reverse damage caused by previous sun exposure USING THE HIGHEST concentration of natural and active ingredients possible giving you beautiful skin in eco-friendly ways Fragrance-free UNIQUE Vitamin C serum contains a proprietary blend of 20% Vitamin C and Astaxanthin|
|Organic Body Care Recipes: 175 Homemade Herbal Formulas for Glowing Skin & a Vibrant Self. Radiantly healthy skin, hair, feet, hands, eyes, and nails. Recipes for hand and footcare, nail treatments, shaving cream, and even popular spa treatments such as microdermabrasion exfoliants, detox and cellulite soaks, ayurvedic oils, and herbal cold salves.|
|Natural Home Made Skin Care Recipes: Three steps to great looking skin with everyday ingredients. Enjoy beautiful clear glowing healthy skin every day! Natural Home Made Skin Care Recipes are simple to make and completely natural, yet many are so powerful they can erase wrinkles, blemishes, blackheads and uneven skin tone, leaving your skin looking and feeling radiant.|